Since Instagram launched in 2010, it has become the hub for sharing photos and videos. According to Sensor Tower, Instagram was one of the 5 most downloaded apps, globally and in the U.S. in 2020. This is testament to the apps staying and growing power.
While it is great to be able to create and share videos from your brand on Instagram, there are reasons to download your Instagram videos too. Saving videos so you can rewatch them is great, but this doesn’t necessarily help your brand.
Create an Inspiration folder and save videos from Instagram when you need some ideas. You can also save videos to your devices so you can upload and share them with your followers later. This is a great way to plan out your content in advance and constantly add ideas to your social media content plan.
Whether you want to download videos for personal use or for reposting, you might wonder how to save an Instagram video to your device? Well, let’s find out.
7 Methods For How To Save An Instagram Video
There are a few ways you can save your Instagram videos to your devices:
1. Before Sharing Your Story
An easy way for how to save an Instagram video to your phone is to save it before you share the video to your Story:
- Open the Instagram app.
- Film the video.
- Tap the download button (marked with the upside-down arrow with a line underneath ⤓ ) at the top of your screen.
- Your video will download and save to your camera’s roll.
2. After Sharing Your Story
If you have already shared your Story with the video you want to save, you can still download it.
If you use the Instagram app:
- Open the Story with the video you want to save.
- Tap the three horizontal dots (ᐧᐧᐧ) for iOS and the three vertical dots for Android that indicate More options. You can find this button at the bottom right of the video.
- Tap Save.
- On an iPhone, you also have the option to tap Save Story, which will save everything from your Story as a video, or you can tap Save Video, which will save the individual video.
3. Screen Record Videos
You can’t save videos from another person’s Instagram account, whether the video appears in your feed or on a person’s Story.
First, you need to get permission that it’s okay for you to save the video and then follow these steps. Note that you’ll need to manually record the video on your phone as it is playing.
If you use an iOS device:
- Swipe upward from the bottom of your phone (from the home button). The Control Center will open.
- Tap the Record button, which is a filled-in circle within another circle. Recording will start in three seconds after tapping the button.
- Navigate to Instagram where the video is and watch the video to record the whole thing.
- To stop the recording, open the Control Center and tap the Record button again.
- You can find your recorded video in your Photos app.
If you use an Android device, you need to download a third-party app to screen record.
4. Use a Third-Party App
There are a few apps available on your smartphone that you can use to record or save a video that appears in your Instagram feed or from a person’s Instagram Story.
Here are a few options you can consider.
For most of these apps, you need to grab the video URL. You can find this in the Instagram app, and on the video, tap the three-dot icon. A pop-up will appear. Click on the link icon to copy the link.
Next, in one of these third-party apps, paste the video link to start the download.
5. Use a Web Downloader
To download Instagram videos from your computer, you can get a web downloader to help you. If you want to reshare the video, then you need to share it with your phone first and upload it to Instagram from there.
Pro Tip: It is good practice to get permission from the video owner before you post the video. Also, give credit where credit is due!
Options to consider to help you save an Instagram video to your PC are:
6. From Instagram Camera to Your Phone
While some people like to shoot videos with their phone’s default camera app, you may prefer Instagram in-app camera. You are in luck because there is a way to save these photos to your phone.
- Open the Instagram app on your phone.
- Tap on your Instagram profile; this is located at the bottom-right of your phone’s screen.
- Tap the three-dot icon.
- Go to Settings > Account > Original Photos.
- Toggle the option from off to on for Save Original Photos.
With this feature on, all your videos that you capture with the Instagram in-app camera will save to your phone’s camera roll.
7. Save To Your Collections
If you just want to save videos from other accounts for your own inspiration or for research purposes, then how about just saving them to your Collections?
This is a great way to save videos you want to rewatch on Instagram. You can easily access them when you need to and you don’t need to worry about them taking up precious space on your phone.
To save to collections, all you need to do is:
- Open Instagram
- Find the video post you want to save
- Tap on the bookmark icon at the bottom right corner of the post
- If you want to save it to a specific folder, tap on ‘Save to Collection’
You can find your saved videos by navigating to the menu on your profile and tapping on ‘Saved’.
Now you know how to save an Instagram video to any of your devices. You can also save videos that other people shot and use these for inspiration or resharing.
If you want to repost a video that isn’t yours, just remember to ask for permission and give credit to the owner of the video in your post.