Psst! Do you want to know a secret? Actually, quite a few secrets. Today we’re going to talk about the shortcuts, the gimmicks, the “so cool, I didn’t know I could do that”, and other lesser-known Instagram features and fun miscellaneous facts.
Don’t get us wrong, we enjoy diving into the deep end of Instagram and bubbling up complex marketing strategies. But every once in a while, we also like to engage in discovering quirky little hacks. While these alone won’t guarantee you success in your marketing efforts, they’ll make your life much easier. And, if you combine them with all the serious tips and tricks we already covered, you’ll also be covered.
So let’s start the countdown!
Lesser-known Instagram feature no 1: Change the order of filters
Yes, you can do that! And when time is of the essence, it might come in handy! So, if you have your 2 or 3 favorite go-to Instagram filters, make sure these show up first. Oh, and if you really, really dislike others and simply don’t want to see them ever again, you can hide them away. So here’s how to go about it.
- Select a video or photo to post
- In the Filter section, scroll ‘till the end and tap Manage
- Simply press and hold to move your favorite filters up the list
- Uncheck the tick next to the filters you want gone (although not gone forever, you might change your mind)
Lesser-known Instagram feature no 2: Get notified when your favorite accounts post
Or you can get notified when your least favorite accounts post, your choice. Actually, that might be an even better idea, as you should closely follow your competition to see what they are up to. No matter your reasons for knowing when an account posts, getting the notifications is easy, breezy. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to the profile of your choice
- Click the three dots in the upper right hand corner
- Tap Turn on Post Notifications and/or Turn on Stories Notifications
- Make sure to also allow notifications on your iPhone/Android from your Settings
Lesser-known Instagram feature no 3: See all the posts you’ve liked
Did it ever happen to you to frantically search for an Instagram post you liked some time ago? You kind of remember who posted it, but you’re not quite sure. So you start going through all the usual suspects and it takes you forever and a day! If only you had a feature that displayed all the posts you’ve liked…well, you do! Actually, Instagram has. Here’s how to access it:
- Go to your profile
- Enter the option section by tapping settings (the little gear icon)
- Click on “Posts you’ve liked”
- Wonder “why didn’t I know about this sooner?!”
Lesser-known Instagram feature no 4: See what posts your followers liked or commented on recently
Want to know as much as you can about your followers and target audience? Then start with what they like and engage with on Instagram. This will help you create a more accurate profile of your audience AND help you tweak your own posts to get more engagement. Actually, you might have stumbled into this feature without even knowing. Here’s where it’s hidden (in plain sight):
- Tap the <3 at the bottom of your Instagram profile
- Tap “Following”
- Browse at ease
Lesser-known Instagram feature no 5: Use Instagram Stories as a video lab without posting
If you haven’t lately checked the updates on the modes in Instagram Stories, you definitely should. Like, right now! It’s a true wonderland, we tell you! And here’s why: currently, Instagram Stories allows you to record and create Stories in 9 different modes:
Awesome, right? Awesome indeed. But what’s even more awesome is the fact that you can use all these modes without even posting on Instagram. These are the steps that will get you there:
- Go to your profile and tap your profile picture or go to your feed and tap your picture in the Stories feed
- Start creating a story in whichever mode you like
- Tap Save
- Discard the Story on Instagram
Lesser-known Instagram feature no 6: Select which tagged posts can show up in your profile
Usually, when somebody tags you in a post on Instagram, it automatically appears on your profile. Erm, sometimes you might not want that. Don’t worry, we’re not going to ask you why. Your reasons are your reasons. However, we’d like to help you to shake those unwanted posts from your profile. Here’s how:
- Go to your profile
- Tap the Settings button (the cog)
- Click on “Photos of you”
- Select “Add Manually”
- And, if there are any unwanted photos on your profile right now, you can continue by:
- Click on “Hide Photos”
- Select the posts you want to hide
Lesser-known Instagram feature no 7: Schedule posts in advance
If you’re serious about your Instagram efforts, then regular posting is not an option. Is mandatory. However, sometimes life gets in the way of posting “at the best times” and you miss out on great engagement opportunities. Great news is, you don’t have to be glued to your laptop or phone anymore, always writing captions and selecting filters at the worst possible times in your daily schedule. You can post them in advance and plan your week or even your month ahead. Here’s how:
- Go to preppr.com or open your App Store
- Install Preppr and also enjoy a 10 days free trial
- Schedule your posts in advance
Ready to do some fun Instagram hacking?
We’ll call these Instagram features the lucky. no 7 ensemble. Use them and you’ll see your Instagram life change to a more serene, joyful and easy experience. Just like it should be!