Instagram story filters are an amazing way to improve the look of your posts. A good Instagram filter can take good content and level it up so that your page is constantly on fleek.
Most people know about the selection of filters you get when you post an image or video on your feed – you know Clarendon, Gingham, Moon, etc… But, Instagram actually has a diverse custom effects gallery available right on the app.
You don’t even have to go looking on any external platform like Adobe Spark or Canva. Although, those also have cool effects if you wanna go the extra mile. However, if you know exactly where to look, Instagram has all the edits, effects, filters (whatever you want to call them) that you’ll need. And, lucky for you, this article tells you exactly where and how to find the best Instagram filters for your stories.
How To Find The Best Instagram Filters
Visit The Effects Gallery
In 2019, Instagram introduced an AR filter creation option where users could create their own custom filters using the Spark AR Studio. Filter creators could share their work online, essentially establishing an effects gallery where users can browse and use custom filters.
Considering that the creation feature is open to everybody, there are tons and tons of options for filters. This makes the Effects Gallery the ideal place to start if you’re looking for the best filters for your IG stories.
To find the gallery:
- Once you’ve logged into your account, click on the “Your Story” circle on the top left-hand corner of your screen. You can also swipe left to open the camera in your app.
- You’ll see a row with circles or dials on the lower part of your screen. Swipe left on this row until you reach an icon with a sparkly magnifying glass reading “Browse Effects.” It should be the last circle that appears.
- Tap on it to access the Effects Gallery.
- The Effects Gallery Homepage will show you the most popular custom effects. You can look through these by swiping up. Or, you can search for specific filters or creators using the search icon in the top right-hand corner. You can also search according to the categories below the search bar.
Check Out Creators’ Profiles
If you’ve discovered a couple of filters you like, this may be a good way to find similar or more effects that work for you. You can check out other creations made by the same person. There are three ways that you can do this.
Check out the profile via the effects gallery
- Follow steps 1-3 above.
- When you’ve found the filter you love, click on it.
- Once it’s open, tap on the three dots in the bottom right corner of your screen.
- Select the option that reads “More by [that creator’s name]”
- Browse through more filters they’ve created by swiping up.
Check out via their profile
This option works best if you know the creators’ name or you already follow them:
- Type handle name into the explore page search bar or click on their name or handle in your followers.
- Once you’re on their profile page, click on the smiley face with floating stars, right below the highlights row.
- Check out their personal effects gallery!
Check the profile out via saved filters (see below!)
- Swipe left from your feed to open your camera.
- Navigate the circle dial menu to find the saved filter you’re looking for.
- Click on the name of the filter at the bottom (ie: Spunky by Prepper)
- Tap on the “More” option and select “See More by This Account.”
Once you’ve done a deep-dive into their filter gallery, you can choose to follow the creator so that you’re always up-to-date with their work. Creators tend to design similarly themed effects, so if you like one, you’ll probably like more of their stuff in the future.
Save Your Fave Instagram Filters
An easy way to access filters and creators you like is by saving them to your IG camera. Follow these steps to save an Instagram filter to your camera:
- Go to the Effects Gallery and open the filter you love.
- Click on the download icon (arrow pointing down) in the bottom right corner.
- You’ll get a notification showing you’ve saved that filter and that you can use it from your camera. The arrow will also become a tick, showing you that your save was successful.
- If you want to test the filter before saving it, click on the “Try It” button. If you’re happy with the look, tap on the filter’s name at the bottom of your screen and choose “Save Effect”.
- Now that you have the filter on your camera, you can use it easily for your stories.
Try Out Your Friends’ Favorites
You might be scrolling through Instagram Stories for the day, or browsing your Explore page when you meet the filter of your dreams. To test it out, simply:
- Click on the filter/effect name in the top left screen corner.
- Choose “Try It” and once you’ve judged the aesthetic, save, share it, or discover more from that creator.
Instagram has an enormous range of Instagram story filters available for users. And as long as people can continue creating effects, there will always be millions more to play with.
Using filters can be an engaging and fun way to spice up your content strategy. You can show your quirky and fun side. Or, you can also just use them to create clean and polished looks for your profile.
Whatever the aim, once you find The One (or two, or three, or fifty), it can make all the difference to your posts.
But while you’re still looking for that #1, keep this in mind:
- Make sure the filters you choose fit your social media marketing strategy.
- Match the vibe of the effects to your brand’s tone and aesthetic for cohesive content.
- Don’t be afraid to try something new and playful once in a while.
- If you never find your filter, maybe try creating your own?