Being a marketer in 2020, you have to keep in mind that some old tricks don’t work anymore. You have to embrace new methods if you want to succeed in promoting your product. Underestimated influencer marketing is one of those. It gains popularity day after day and is able to bring a lot of profit to any marketing campaign.
Influencer marketing is a strategy of promoting your product through the attraction of so-called influencers. They are people running a website, a blog or a social media account. And what is more important, they have some amount of subscribers that also share their interests and hobbies. The idea of influencer marketing is to attract such persons to promote your products for their audience.
It is no secret that people will more likely trust other people’s opinions, and even more willingly if those people are respected ones. Good old plain advertising messages do not work anymore due to the over-saturation of marketing niche and lots of similar messages all over the Internet. Albeit, people with common interests who speak highly of some brand will attract way more customers than the most sophisticated advertisement.
The usefulness of influencer marketing has also been proven by niche specialists. According to recent researches, attracting an influencer will grant you ROI that is 11 times bigger than using traditional marketing methods.
But while we agree that this kind of marketing is a good thing, there could be another issue. Let’s say you’ve found the influencer you are interested in. Yet, you have to approach this person somehow, and it might seem to be tricky. Lucky for you, we’ve got you covered, and here are four time-tested hints and tips on how to compose a perfect influencer outreach email.
Define what you want
Before the very beginning, you have to get some answers to sort the things up. Make sure you give yourself the most honest answers possible because the result of your mailing greatly depends on this. So, here what you have to define:
– What do you expect from the collaboration – engagement growth, sales boost, brand awareness?
– Why do you need this specific influencer? Is there anyone better?
– At what terms are you going to collaborate with an influencer?
– Are you going to control a promo process, or let an influencer do all the things in his own way?
As you can see, it is a raw, though yet already comprehensive draft of the things you should mention in your letter. Make sure you write down all you have to offer before working on the letter.
Once you know the answers to these questions, it will be easier for you to articulate your ideas. It will help you to craft an ideal influencer outreach email template and make an influencer want to work with you.
Make it personal
There are plenty of steps that can be taken to make your letter as much appealing to your respondent as possible. Make sure you do your best to compose a message which will stand out all those regular emails they receive. Among the other things you can do the following:
– Create a catchy subject line. A direct invitation, an offer to promote your product, a request for advice – all those work well. But make sure people will understand what you want. And make sure your subject is short.
– Remind of yourself. If you’ve got some story with an influencer, feel free to remind of it. Say you were attending the same conference. If you’ve never met this person, praise his content or start a discussion in comments and then remind of it in your letter.
– Avoid being standard. You are not the first person who considers influencer marketing, and it means that your respondent regularly receives hundreds of cliche emails. Look for those default templates on the Internet and make sure your message is not the same.
– Speak their language. After all, you share a common area of interest. Start a conversation by discussing something of your mutual devotion. If you are selling snowboards and are trying to reach a passionate snowboarder, you definitely have to start your letter with snowboarding. And, by the way, you’d better consider this paragraph straight – when reaching a French influencer, write in French.
Keep it short
Don’t bother people with long reads. Your first objective is to attract people’s attention and make them want to respond and cooperate. You’ll be able to discuss the terms of your cooperation in the following letters. To begin with, sparkle interest in your respondent and briefly describe who you are, what you want, and what you have to offer.
It is always better when your letter consists of a short introduction, where you tell about you and your brand. Then add a small paragraph, showing that you are familiar with your respondent’s content and that you definitely like what you see. Finally, ask if any cooperation is possible. That’s the paragraph where you can add what benefits an influencer will get from this cooperation. The last paragraph in the letter is aimed to disclose your contact details and to add a polite farewell. That’s enough for a start.
And some more things to keep in mind:
– Make sure your respondent will get what you offer – be clear and concise.
– When explaining something, avoid using the words which have to be checked in a dictionary.
– Try to compose short sentences and avoid using unnecessary additional words.
Proofread and wrap up
It is absolutely unacceptable to send letters with mistakes and typos, whether they are formal or informal. Take the proper time for proofreading what you have written. Do not rely on your own attention and use one, or even several, tools for proofreading. Check grammar, scan a letter and see if there are no mistakes and don’t rush with sending. Let yourself rest and check the letter you’ve composed on the next day. Perhaps you’ll come up with another idea, or you’ll invent a better wording.
Before sending it, think if there is something that can be added to the letter – infographics, some images or even a presentation. Add all the links you believe necessary and, perhaps, develop some unique conditions for your influencer to make your offer exciting and worthy. After a letter has been sent, don’t rush the things up and do not push on your respondent. Wait some time before reminding of yourself. And what is more important – never give up, no matter what an outcome is. There are plenty of fish in the ocean, and if some first influencers do not respond, eventually, you’ll find what you are looking for.
Composing a letter to an influencer is both tricky and easy. You know what may attract this person, but you know it from a public image. You have the basic information to work with, yet you will never know the nuances. The only appropriate advice here is to make as many attempts as possible and never give up. And, you know what? Attracting an influencer is the same as building up a marketing campaign – you have to emphasize the profits people will gain when using your product. After all, you just have to sell your brand to this specific person, who is already your target audience. Be confident, because you already have all the info needed.
Got any other hints on how to write the perfect influencer outreach email? Feel free to share your thoughts with everyone in the most convenient way. Good luck!